top of page

Philippi Municipal Services Investigation

This study focuses on a 287-hectare area in Philippi, Cape Town, which has limited development. About 54 hectares are already developed, and it's possible to use 105 hectares for light industry and 109 hectares for low-income housing in the future.


The study area was affected by land invasions in August 2014, increasing the estimated number of dwellings from 950 to 4,170. Unfortunately, these dwellings lack access to proper sanitation and clean water.


The proposed development plan includes 105 hectares for light industry and 109 hectares for low-income housing, covering 75% of the area. The remaining 25% would be used for roads, open spaces, and detention ponds. A Gross Leasable Area (GLA) of 50.4 hectares is anticipated for light industrial development.


The study assumes a residential density of 60 dwellings per hectare, with properties of approximately 120m2 each, potentially providing 6,500 dwelling units.


Three development scenarios are considered: the existing state before land invasions, the interim status post-invasions, and the final full development stage.


Master plans for municipal services are needed to accommodate Pedi's vision, including potable water, sewer, stormwater, electricity, and telecommunications.


Findings from the analysis of services indicate:

  • The water network needs upgrades for the full development scenario, with trunk mains for interconnection.

  • The current sewer network is sufficient for the full development scenario, but a computer model is recommended to confirm capacity.

  • Stormwater infrastructure is adequate for a 10-year storm but needs additional detention ponds for a 50-year storm.

  • Electricity capacity is insufficient for the full development scenario, requiring a new substation and underground cables.

  • Telecommunications involve Dark Fibre Africa (DFA) and Telkom, with options for businesses to connect.


Overall, this study provides insights into the development potential of the area and the infrastructure requirements for its future growth.


View and download:

Tags:

12 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page